- All The Family
- School Age
The cemetery was the burial ground for the Somerset and Bath Pauper Lunatic Asylum, which was later known as the Wells Mental Hospital, then the Mendip Hospital. Nearly 3000 former patients and staff were laid to rest here between 1874 and 1963.
The cemetery is now both a nature reserve and a living memorial to the poor souls buried here.
In the year 2000 there was a proposal to sell the land containing the chapel and graves of nearly 3000 former patients or staff members of the Mendip Hospital.
A meeting was held in Wells Town Hall proposing to stop the sale, the outcome of which was the formation of The Friends of Mendip Hospital
Cemetery. The Friends have put in a great deal of work and the site is now a pleasure to visit.
The aim is to keep the site in pristine condition and to encourage people to visit on open weekends.
See the website for more information on the Open Days